Kayt in Ireland

My Tales of Studying Abroad in Dublin

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Internships Abroad


I would like to take this opportunity to HIGHLY recommend doing an internship in Ireland rather than just at home for the following reasons:

  • There is no such thing as being on time....EVERYONE is late...I am usually the one who is late for EVERYTHINg...but not here, I'm always early in comparison to my coworkers.
  • You have to do an internship to graduate anyways...why not kill 2 birds with one stone, travel and be productive at the same time.
  • You wont need am extensive professional wardwobe...since most places here are 'smart casual' attire and they all repeat outfits as well. There have been many reports from fellow interns of people wearing the exact same outfit 2 days in a row...I'm against repeat outfits in the same month let alone the same week but if you have no probs with that then this is your place.
  • Not awhole lot of stressful work to be done...its grand...Since we are americans we are used to a fast pace...there is no such thing here....They will assign you simple tasks and give you weeks to complete them.

I am thoroughly enjoying my internship experience. I work at an charity called one family. You can check it out at the website: http://www.onefamily.ie. Its actually a pretty great group...they help out single parent families, giving the parents adult education programs and assistance into finding support. I feel like my karma has improved just working here for the summer. Currently I am helping to develop sessions to run in the adult education programmes. Pretty good stuff..right up my alley for community psychology. Brilliant!!

Well work is done now..so its time to play.... HEaded for some afterwork drinks mostly just to kill some time so that traffic dies down.....CHEERS!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home