Kayt in Ireland

My Tales of Studying Abroad in Dublin

Thursday, June 29, 2006

A Night at the Dog Races


Greyhound Racing @ Shelbourne Park is absolutely savage.... Literally had an amazing time. There were a total of 11 races with 6 lanes each time. Not knowing anything about greyhound racing, it was very difficult at times to pick a dog. My strategy quickly became pick the dog whos name amuses me the most. I won with dogs like Cookies on Fire, Do Me DAnny and Rathyvlls Best. I usually bet a euro on a dog to place and found pretty decent results. I dont think i lost any money although im not sure that I made any profit either. O well..its definitly something everyone visiting Ireland should experience. We are told the dogs are treated super well here. Only dogs in top form can even race. The only problem is after their done racing in Ireland, they ship them off to Spain, where they have no standards and they basicly just race them to death. That is really sad. Our friend that happened to be working at Shelbourne told us that Saturday nites there are deadly. Not so many grannies and just loads of people. May have to go back and check it out.
Afterwards we stopped off at pub just a block from our house. Its called The Comet. I had yet to pop in there...it was fairly decent. A bit of an older crowd...
Today, I'm supposed to have a discussion with my supervisor about my work...AHH...What work? ...uhoh. haHa... Also i have a doctors appointment to finally get my foot fixed. Here come the crutches...Cheers!!

1 Comments:

At 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I've really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. After all I will be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again very soon!

my web page ... how to diet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home