Kayt in Ireland

My Tales of Studying Abroad in Dublin

Monday, July 31, 2006

Midlands Music Festival....Wheres Van?!?!

Saturday morning bright and early we headed down to County Meathe for The Midlands Music Festival...
The first thing i feel i must admit is that we had no idea what we were getting ourselves into, all we knew was at 8:10 Van Morrison would take the stage. When we got there we were rather surprised to find that we had just payed €70 to go to an Irish Country Festival...yes thats correct, we fell into the one place where there are irish rednecks. Upon entering the gates, we knew what we had to do...We purchased straw cowboy hats that said Midlands in the front, and the second thing we did was hit up the beer tent. I think i should point out here that in my entire life i have never owned a cowboy hat, just never felt the need, and since ive come to Ireland, I've actually aquired 2...I'm apparently an Irish cowboy.
Anyways..the day continued with loads of country acts... A song about a snakefarm, some gentlemen in suits,a young boy who played guitar. All of whom were greeted with the same obnoxious american shouts "Wheres Van?" We were delighted to find that Don McLean was playing there....I can now say that i have heard American Pie sung live next to a castle (though im ashamed to admit the castle was the least impressive castle EVER...i mean i actually had an argument about where it was made of plastic or not). The finally after alittle Glen Campbell, who may or maynot be the original singer of 'RhineStone cowboy' (I feel i must mention here that he was wearing a hot pink cowboy shirt with diamonds on it)...it was finally time for the man... VAN MORRISON!!
Van Morrison was deadly...i couldnt believe my luck to be viewing him in person. It was right around this time that the sushi i had eaten about 30minutes before began to combat my stomach...it became neccessary for me to pick up a cup off the ground and vomit...So there I was holding a cup of my own vomit as Van sang 'Crazy Love'...I didnt let it hamper my excitement. I will NEVER in my life eat sushi again, as now i have a person vendetta against it for nearly ruining my Van experience. As Van's set drew to a close, the question hung in the air "Will we be priviledged enough to hear...dare we even hope it?... brown eyed girl?".... I looked at my clock, time for one more song...and then i knew "Sarah...brown eyed girls will be next" and then within moments "Dodododo...." (use your imagination)...I'm not sure ive ever been more happy in my entire life. I was slightly disappointed not to hear some of my other favorites such as Caravan but the show was still the best thing EVER!!
After Van, Dwight Yolkem played...not entirely sure who the chap is...but your man was pretty good. Following that we headed back to the bus, a bunch of tuckered out cowlasses....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home