Kayt in Ireland

My Tales of Studying Abroad in Dublin

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The Dublin Bus... what an experience....

Monday I had what i am nearly positive was the worst Dublin Bus experierence of all time... I wish i could take back all the time i've wasted either waiting for buses or sitting on them...i bet i would have at least another week... Anyways.... back to the story...Megan and I were attempting to get back to Santry after a long hard(hahha) day of work...we board the 13A near our work, expecting a pleasant trip home... but o no we were sorely mistaken. Somewhere near O'Connell the world's most obnoxious knackers stepped aboard all decked out in their adidas track suits and high tops... They climbed to the top of the double decker and chose a seat directly behind us... innocent enough right? So everything is fine and good until the knacks begin to scream at the top of their pubescent screaching voices... no they are screaming anything in particular..just nonense... it was the most horrendace sound i have ever heard in my entire life... i mean its day later now and i cant still hear it, and it makes me want to vomit all over my desk.... just utterly putrad. They continue to scream the entire way home... i had my head phones up as loud as they could possibly go but they were impossible to drown out... People were looking at them, which only fueled their obnoxiousness...made them interested in picking fights... we literally had to leave the top level to regain our sanity...though it wasnt enough bc u could still hear them down there...i could hear them even after i stepped off the bus... just horrible...
In an attempt to make it through the bus ride, I thought to myself of all the good rides and the reasons why the bus can be a joyful experience
1. For sure the best thing about the bus is it has this unique ability to null u to sleep... no joke..its almost literally impossible to stay awake... I'm not sure if its the rocking or the lack of oxygen but that bus has skills. Sure u miss ur stop a time or 2 but u got a good nap in the process.
2. It provides a simple method of transport to nearly anywhere u want to go... i dont think i ever want to have to drive myself again...its just too much work... why not take a bus EVERYWHERe?
3. You meet some very interesting characters... why just yesterday i met my favorite bus rider EVEr...well i shouldnt say met, rather i observed him. The fellow had just purchased a slue of new records and was soo excited about them his excitement oozed on to us... he opened each one and examined them carefully just soo happy... I'm actually really glad he was too enraptured by his lps to notice that I was watching him intently with a giant grin on my face. I also met an italian studying english at DCU from Rome, he's going to show us around the city when we arrive.... connections, its all about connections. Sure u meet some dodgey folks as well but they just make good stories later... its all about the stories...hahha
4. One certain bus ride provided me with one of my most favorite memories of the summer... It was on one particular day that Sarah and I boarded the number 4 bus... the bus takes us to our stop on ballymun street and then continues on to the dodgey area known as ballymun, the irish ghetto. So we ride along, and then all the sudden i realize we are about to pass our stop so i leap up and push the stop button and jet it for the double doors... someone behind had the same inclination..i assumed this person was sarah, so in my haste i forgot to turn and make sure i was correct... Well turns out I was mistaken... it was not sarah and as i glanced in the window i realized that sarah was still sitting happily in her seat, but she appeared awake, so i assumed that surely she would be getting off at the stop just across the road... i waited on the corner giggling to myself...but my giggles soon turned into full blown chuckles as i realize that Sarah did not depart the bus.. She's about to ride that baby right into the ghetto (thats an actual quote from my inner monolouge) Seeing as though i had incoviently forgotten my mobile that day...there was nothing i could do but head for home and share the tale with all who would listen.
5. The bus is actually a really great place to stage a photo or 2...
6. Its a place where u can hear like 4 different languages being spoken at one time... pretty intense...
7. And last but certainly not least, the silent joy u feel when ur hopping off the bus and give the driver a nod and say... 'Tanks a mil, cheers!!' or i suppose if ur feeling american 'Thanks'.. its feels nice
Just writing this entry has restored my faith in the Dublin Bus... I take back what i said... i would not like to take back all the time I've spent on the bus... nahh ....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home